Minutes of the MSSL Board of Director's meeting, November 21, 2019.
Meeting called to order by Speaker Mr. Skidmore at 1000.
All members present. Alan Thorpe attended as a guest.
1) Mr. Quigley made a motion with a second by Mr. Crozier to approve the previous
month's meeting minutes. Vote was 7-0. Motion passed.
2) Mr. Skidmore presented the financial report for the previous month with explanations.
3) Motion made by Mr. Fisher (who had just returned to the board) with a second by Mr. Sennett to
accept the financial results. Vote was 7-0. Motion passed. Current balance of $9,767.07.
4) Mr. Fuhrmann advises that all current MSSL Rules and Procedures are up-to-date.
5) Mr. Dick briefed the board on outstanding league fees. All in accord. He also
updated the organizational chart.
6) Mr. Skidmore thanked Mr. Crozier for his work on the Veterans Day game with the
Mt. San Jacinto College girls softball team. A good time was had by all and it
will be repeated next year.
7) Reviewed how new players are assigned to teams. Assigned procedures are covered in the League Procedures but
we agreed that we need to improve the communication process.
1) Discussed the upcoming 2020 Spring Season. The first day of the draft will
be Thursday, January 16, 2020 after the 1100 games with the full day draft on
Saturday, January 18, 2020, at Jack Buss' restaurant. Mr. Sennett and his
roster team will meet on a date to be determined to update the master player list.
New season to start on February 4, 2020.
2) Mr. Quigley will be heading up the Christmas collection for Carlos, our groundskeeper. Presentation
date to be December 19, 2019. Mr. Quigley will provide envelopes for donations to all the teams.
3) Mr. Skidmore advised that the Bob Kapeller tournament will be on February 26, 2020
at Big League Dreams in Perris. Mr. Sennett will be the liaison to the tournament finding out
if we will be fielding one or two teams and he will be responsible for selecting the
MSSL players for the team(s).
4) Discussed our website. Mr. Hustead, Mr. Callahan, and Mr. Curley have access.
Contract expires December 2020. Alan Thorpe advises that he has 40 years of I.T. experience
if his assistance is needed in finding a new platform. Any other member that can be of assistance
is encouraged to step forward to help.
5) Discussed rule proposal from Randy Schaaf, allowing teams to get courtesy runners from home plate. Proposal
will not be implemented for the Spring Season but can be tested in the Summer Season to determine feasibility.
6) The Board thanked Steve Baranick, Mike Trice and Joe Hansell for their detailed review and suggested changes
to the League rules. The proposal was reviewed page by page and the rules will be updated accordingly.
Mr. Skidmore volunteered to update the Rules.
7) The league is going to change how it recognizes a players age as it applies to any League Rules.
Currently a players age is determined by their age in a given calendar year. Going forward
a players age will be determined by the season in which they are playing. As an example,
a player entering the League would be eligible to play in a Fall Season, if they turn 55 in
January of the following year. The flip side is that a player turning 55 after the conclusion of a
Spring Season, would not be eligible to play in that Spring Season. The same rule change will apply
to 75-year-old players asking for infielders to be on the dirt and outfielders behind the 160-foot line.
8) There will be no meeting in December 2019. The next scheduled meeting will be January 14, 2020.
9) Motion for adjournment made by Mr. Crozier with second by
Mr. Quigley. Vote was 6-0. (Mr. Sennett departed at approximately 1130) Meeting adjourned at 1205.
Meeting minutes submitted by Mr. Fuhrmann.