Minutes of MSSL Board of Directors meeting.. ..June 14, 2018

Meeting called to order at approximately 1 p.m. by acting Speaker Kent Skidmore.

This was the first meeting of the 2018-2019 board. Board members are: Kent Skidmore...Donnie Sternberger...Jim Trez...Bob Curley Jack Fisher...Bob Fuhrmann...Jeff Millard...and Commissioner Emeritus Ed Hustead.

Board has been reduced from 11 to 7 members.  All were present with the exception of Mr. Trez.

NEW BUSINESS

1)..Motion made by Mr. Fisher with a second by Mr. Sternberger to approve the minutes of the May 2018 meeting. Motion passed 6-0.

2)..Mr. Skidmore was elected the new Speaker and will also continue as the league treasurer. Mr. Fuhrmann will be the secretary.

Dennis Cullen will continue to handle the awards and Ric Davila will be the league publisher. Jerry Callahan to continue as our webmaster.

Ken Mitoma will be the Chief Umpire.  Mike Trice will also continue as the league scheduler. Ray Moore will continue to head up the Evaluation Committee.

3)..Reviewed the May 2018 financial report. Ending bank balance is $4,721.39.

Motion made by Mr. Fisher with a second by Mr. Millard to approve the report.

Vote was 6-0 to approve.

 NOTE:  The MSSL fiscal year will now be September to August instead of January to December. This to be reflected in September 2018 when new annual budget is established.

 4)..Short discussion regarding league awards.  Motion made by Mr. Skidmore with a second by Mr. Fisher to have the regular season champion receive jackets and the Playoff champion will receive hats. Motion approved 6-0.

NOTE:  Board will have further discussions with team managers/players to consider other types of awards in the future.

5)..Discussed current player substitution rule pertaining to number of roster players available and use of substitutes when more than 11 roster players are present.  (Rex rule).  More discussion and feedback needed from managers and players.  This to be done in July and August 2018 for possible implementation in September 2018 Fall season.

6)..Discussed security concerns with our MSSL website. Mr. Skidmore to talk to our webmaster, Jerry Callahan, for possible fixes to include password login.

7)..Discussed proposal from Mr. Curley for formal "Opening Day" ceremonies to include ceremonial first pitch and possible introductions by local officials.

Mr. Curley to head committee to put this in place at start of Fall 2018 season.

Motion made by Mr. Skidmore with a second by Mr. Fisher to explore this option.

Motion passed 6-0.

8)..Discussed game with Mt. San Jacinto girls softball team on Veterans Day.

Mr. Trez with assistance by Mr. Skidmore to co-ordinate.

9)..Roy Lantz and Mr. Fuhrmann will be absent for field preparation on Tuesday, June 26. 2018.  Mr. Sternberger will assist on June 19, 2018 to be aware of field prep requirements.  Thanks Donnie for stepping up.

10)..Summer draft will be Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 11 a.m. at Jack Buss's Pizza Factory.  Three volunteer managers, John Sennett, Randy Schaff and Jack Buss will draft 3 of the 5 teams. Bob Fuhrmann and Manny Morones will draft the remaining 2 teams. 

11)..Discussed Fall Season draft.  One day draft or two day draft.  John Sennett to contact prospective and past managers for opinions.  Will have further details at the July meeting.  At present 2 day draft is preferable.

First day of draft will be moved from Saturday to a Tuesday or Thursday.

12)..Mr. Hustead to prepare fall signup sheets (currently being done).  Master list to be given to Ray Moore for his committee to update for Fall Season draft.

Mr. Fisher and Mr. Fuhrmann to also assist.

13)..Fall Season tentatively to start right after Labor Day. Mike Trice to advise when he is able.

14)..Ed Hustead to get new bungee tie downs for existing dugout covers.

15)..Report that pitching screen at Discovery Park needs repair.  Mr. Hustead and Mr. Curley to co-ordinate swapping it with one of our spares.  Dave Schoop to repair.

16).. Discussed possible change to drafting procedures.  (Mr. Fisher proposal).

No change at this time.

OLD BUSINESS

1)..Mr. Fuhrmann to clarify new type trial playoff substitution rule to current playoff teams. (This now completed.)

2)..Discussed Ed Hustead award.  Further discussion needed.

3)..Ed Nicholls defibrillator training scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday, July 10 and 12 respectively at the Wheatfield clubhouse.  Time to be advised.

4)..Liability insurance for Board members no longer a item for discussion.

5).."Night at the Storm" ticket sales going well.....total allotment almost sold out.  Scheduled for Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6.00 p.m..

CURRENT ITEMS

1)..Next meeting scheduled for July 19, 2018 at approximately 11 a.m.

2)..Motion to adjourn by Mr. Fisher with a second by Mr. Millard.

Vote was 6-0 in favor and meeting adjourned at approximately 2:30 p.m.


Minutes submitted by Mr. Fuhrmann