BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
MAR 15, 2017
Menifee Senior Softball League, Ed Hustead (EH) founder
8 Board Members present (in alphabetical order by last name):
DC. Dennis Cullen, awards
RD. Ric Davila, publisher
BF. Bob Fuhrmann
JF. Jack Fisher
JM. Jeff Millard, secretary
DS. Donnie Sternberger
KS. Kent Skidmore, treasurer
JT. Jim Trez
Committee members (updated):
Draft Committee — Chief: EH; additional people as needed
Awards Committee — Chief: DC; KS
Judicial Committee — Chief: DS; JF, KS, Gene Dick, Skip Penhall
Player Evaluation Committee (PEC) — Chief: Ray Moore; DC, Ed
Nicholls, John Sennett, Larry Roberts
Guests: Bob Curley, Bob Envall, Ken Quigley, Skip Penhall
1. Motion to accept Feb 2018 Minutes: RD, DS seconded, Unan.
2. Review/update previous grievance pertaining to Vito D’Angelo.
Motion to approve suspension of Vito D’Angelo for one game
(that game being 8 March): RD, BF seconded, Unan.
3. Financial report update (KS): Available cash balance as of
28 Feb 2018: $6297.64.
Motion to accept this update: JF, BF seconded, Unan.
4. League Picnic, planning (KS): Need a Taco Truck or
similar conveyance to cater the picnic. Looking at May 16th for
the Picnic. Tammy may have some ideas on this and Kent will
coordinate with her. JF will contact Sergio to see if he has
someone that could help in serving from his Taco Truck.
5. Defibrillator Training update (Ed Nichols): Training date
deferred to next BOD meeting.
6. Ed Husted Annual Award Proposal (discussion/voting): Deferred
to next BOD meeting when JG and Ken Quigley can meet and put
together a proposal before the Board.
7. Liability Insurance Policy update (DC): Current quote for
a $1 million policy for Liability to protect the board from any
lawsuits that may arise. The insurance premium would be $1124
annually. Cost to league members for the policy estimated at $10
per year. DC will continue to check other sources and details.
8. Equipment Storage Box at Discovery Park update (BF): A
box has been installed at Discovery Park but has not been paid
for as of yet. Four sets of keys have been made and distributed
to John Pape, Ed Hustead, and two others — Ray Moore will
likely be given a set along with one other to be determined.
9. PEC Chairmanship update… Ray Moore has accepted the role
of Chief of this Committee. Jerry Callahan will update the
10. Review/Clarify understanding of using players rated 10 - 12:
Motion that players drafted in rounds 10, 11 and 12 be
combined into one group, from which any player in this group may
be used as a substitute for any 10, 11, or 12-line player: BF,
JF seconded, Unan.
11. Review game starting times:
Motion that current start times of 8:30 and 10:30 revert back
to 9:00 and !!:00 until May 15th, effective immediately: DS, JM
JM will call / text all managers regarding this change, as well as
the above group 10 - 12 substitution change.
12. Discuss how to incorporate new players (rated 10 and below)
into the League. Should they be used as substitutes or added
to teams currently lacking 12 players? Deferred to April meeting.
13. BF will look into initiating another “MSSL night at the Storm”
evening. Details and possible dates forthcoming.
14. Discuss Player substitution rules change: In order to prevent
teams from improving — especially during the playoffs — suggest
that teams needing more than one substitute come from one line
below those players requiring substitutes. Exception: The team’s
first substitute may be on a same-line basis. Deferred to April.
15. Questions: should the Board make any changes in the draft
process to insure that each team ends up with a designated,
bone-fide pitcher at the end of the draft? Also, if a team’s
pitcher — for whatever reason — cannot play, should it be ok
for that team to use any designated pitcher as a substitute?
16. Motion to adjourn: BF, DS seconded, Unan.
Next meeting Thu, 26 Apr 2018.
JM, secretary. 11:45 am, 15 Mar 2018